Kia Launches DRIVE WiSE for Hassle-free, Delightful Driving
The idea of a self-driving car is not too far from reality, and Kia Motors plans to make it happen by the year 2030. At the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Kia launched DRIVE WiSE, an innovative sub-brand dedicated to furthering the brand’s Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS). Learn more about this exciting new development!
With a Newly Acquired Nevada Autonomous Driving License, Kia has demonstrated the full potential for next generation DRIVE WiSEtechnologies with our very own autonomous Soul EV.
On the days leading up to the grand debut of the sub-brand at the 2016 CES, Kia conducted test drives on the roads of Death Valley allowing a select few to experience the intricacies and breadth of Kia’s newest autonomous driving innovations firsthand.
Building upon Kia’s current ADAS program, the newest DRIVE WiSE technology provides greater levels of assistance based on user preference and automation for improved safety and comfort. The systems currently in development and expected to be added to latest Kia models include:
- Highway Autonomous Driving (HAD): Radar and camera systems interpret lane markings allowing the car to safely stay in its lane, switch into others or follow a different road without any driver input.
- Urban Autonomous Driving (UAD): Provides live traffic updates and employs GPS sensors to identify the car’s position on the road, assisting navigation through city traffic
- Preceding Vehicle Following (PVF): Advanced lane keeping system that enables the car to safely navigate around surrounding cars during poor weather or road conditions.
- Emergency Stop System (ESS): In connection with Kia’s Driver Status Monitoring (DSM), ESS analyses driver’s faces to bring the car to a safe stop on the side of the road if the driver’s attention strays from the road for too long.
- Traffic Jam Assist (TJA): Assists the car in maintaining safe distances from other vehicles during traffic congestion
- Autonomous Valet Parking: Enables the vehicle to park itself, using a smart key or smartwatch
In addition, DRIVE WiSE technologies also foster optimized interaction between driver and automobile with upgraded Human Machine Interface (HMI) systems.
While still under development, DRIVE WiSE will gradually introduce safety technologies to significantly improve the driving experience for Kia customers. By providing drivers with more refined assistance functions, Kia hopes to eliminate the dangers and hazards of the road and enhance the enjoyment of the driving to change the way owners interact with their vehicles.
DRIVE WiSE showcased at CES 2016 and so much more!
The grand debut of DRIVE WiSE at the 2016 CESin Las Vegas gave visitors a chance to experience the innovative features themselves through interactive exhibits. Stay tuned for more news from Kia BUZZ as we reveal full details of the Kia’s booth and provide a digital tour of the 2016 CES event!